nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberry

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Himalayan blackberry
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 13:58:13 -0700

Just cutting Himalaya blackberries stimulates them. As the mounds get old, the old dead canes shade the crowns and fewer new canes come out. Cut off the canes without doing anything to the crown and it will shoot up big, thick new canes larger than the ones removed. I've dug out crowns that were such large masses of wood they were big enough to saw up like wood.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com