nafex - Re: [NAFEX] backpack sprayers

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] backpack sprayers
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 11:29:39 -0500

On Feb 19, 2008, at 1:53 AM, Mark & Helen Angermayer wrote:

Do any of you use a backpack sprayer? Are they that much better than a
large 3 gallon hand sprayer? Do you have to pump them less/more than a
regular hand sprayer? Any other advantages/disadvantages? Appreciate your
thoughts.

I've never used one of the 3 gallon hand sprayers, so I can't compare; but I do use a Solo 3 gallon backpack sprayer. It's easy to pump; pump it up some to start, then just pump occasionally with one hand while continuing to spray with the other. They also make battery-powered electric versions that you don't have to pump at all.

I strongly agree with the recommendation to get one with a hip belt. As long as you have the hip belt, they're pretty comfortable to wear.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly