nafex - Re: [NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] electronic and membership discussion
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 11:32:07 -0500

On Feb 16, 2008, at 8:00 AM, Regina M. Kreger wrote:

"I'm not a person who favors bells and whistles when they don't make
sense and detract from site usability."
Hear, hear! I have DSL but a cheap laptop with not enough RAM, all
those bells & whistles drive me nuts. Plus, please, it should work on
Mozilla........

It should work on all browsers on all platforms; and by "work" I mean not just "open the main page" but that all features of the site should work. This is less common than some may think. I had a Symantec site, of all places, refuse to work properly with Firefox on Mac OS X. -- I just checked, and note that the current NAFEX site seems to be working fine with both Firefox and Safari on 10.3.9. Thank you, to the current site designer (mangodance, is that you?).

The behind-the-scenes bells and whistles required to get sites to work with all browsers, computers, and operating systems are genuinely useful. The ones that make things blink on and off on the page, or drift in one at a time doing somersaults, are only annoying. Not only do they slow things down, but they make it hard to actually read the information on the site. (Hint to people writing presentations: this is true of those too, not just of web pages.)

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly