nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Membership

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Membership
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:15:21 -0500

On Feb 14, 2008, at 10:04 PM, mangodance wrote:

cevanko at civconinc dot com wrote:

. Lets make Pomona available to
some or all of the following: Libraries, Horticulture schools, Extension
services and others to what we can afford. If we use our asset just like
NewsWeek, or Time, which are free to read in any library in the US. Do
all the people who subscribe to Time feel cheated because the libraries
just leave it out where anyone can read it?

Libraries purchase most of their periodicals.

My local library purchases some, but carries others that are donated (sometimes after the original subscriber has read them). Most of the donated ones are periodicals that they wouldn't carry if the library had to purchase them, as their budget is very tight; but if they think it's likely to be of interest, they're happy to put donated issues on the shelves.

This may vary by area, but it's worth checking. I like to keep my NAFEX copies; otherwise I'd bring them to the library.

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly