nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rootstock Heights

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rootstock Heights
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 22:07:08 -0600

Is there a website or catalog that lists how tall fruit trees grow on various rootstocks?

Which fruit? Adams Co. Nursery has some neat little pictures that show how tall their apple trees should get on different rootstocks. I think it depends on your particular conditions, though.

http://www.acnursery.com/rootstock.php

And Cornell University has some apple rootstock factsheets. These are described by 'size class,' which translates to the relative percentage size compared to growing the tree on its own roots.

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/hort/breeders/appleroots/Factsheets/FSAccess.htm

I don't know of a site that covers rootstocks of all types of fruit trees, but that's not saying much. There's probably one out there somewhere. And many, if not most, nurseries have at least *some* information on the rootstocks of trees they sell.

Bill
Lincoln, NE

--
We are not standing on the brink of recession due to forces beyond our control. The fallout from the housing crisis that's cost jobs and wiped out savings was not an inevitable part of the business cycle, it was a failure of leadership and imagination in Washington. - Sen. Barack Obama