nafex - Re: [NAFEX] food prices

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] food prices
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 23:41:24 -0700

Tanis,

Our local Sacramento markets are several, and competitive. The prices are
markedly less than traditional grocers, even clearly less than the Asian and
Latino markets, which have the best area prices.

On the other hand, there's a foothill town about 35 miles away with one
market, and it's, well, kind yuppified - the buyers, not so much the
farmers. The produce is fresh, delicious, varied, and pricey. Much cheaper
to go to the grocery.

Actually, I think this is interesting - some local cultures do give rise to
pretty spendy farmers markets, others not so much. Another 30 miles up from
the town I was thinking of, there's also just one big farmer's market, but
it's dirt cheap (as are many of the clients)...

Although most of the things at the local farmers markets are things I could
grow, I'd need a lot of time and acreage for the copious variety. But
that's here - many produce-loving people, and many ethnic groups.
Our grocery store quality and variety increases each year. We're in the CA
central valley, where produce is plentiful, and there's a lot of competition
among grocers and farmers, and steady demand for quality fruits and veg.

~ Stephen