nafex - Re: [NAFEX] food prices, was "NNGA membership declines"

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] food prices, was "NNGA membership declines"
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 07:17:25 -0700 (PDT)

Stephen, "LESS expensive produce"?! Years ago I had to stop shopping at the
farmers' market because the prices were going so high! Maybe things are
different
in WI than CA, or maybe I should compare prices again.

The puzzle I see is, most of what I'd buy at farmers' mkt I can probably grow
too,
depending on the time I have (when there's no paying-work is when more food
needs to
be grown!) But the stuff grown in longer climates, available at grocery
stores, I
think the quality is reducing every year!

--- Mark & Helen Angermayer <> wrote:

> Good point Stephen. I guess it does depend on where you're at. Out here
> not having a car is pretty much unthinkable, most people have two (or more).
> We spend about $300 per month on groceries, feeding a family of four. It
> just seems a historical anomaly to spend more on housing, transportation (in
> some cases), and entertainment, than on the basics of food production.
>
> One of the reasons I started gardening/fruit growing was I thought I could
> do it cheaper than buying it. I'm not so sure anymore. I'm sure a lot of
> people will disagree, but as to being able to get good quality food from the
> store, it probably depends on the time of year. We got some store bought
> peaches the other day that were as good as the few I grew last year. I've
> also had store bought apples better than anything I've eaten off the tree.
> I still garden for the love of gardening.
>
> Mark
> Kansas

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.