nafex - Re: [NAFEX] NNGA membership declines

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] NNGA membership declines
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:57:38 -0700

Depending on the family size and location, food expenses often equal or
exceed transportation expenses. If you include sundries (soaps, household
items) then groceries become the second biggest expense after housing. I
garden both for fresh produce and to keep our food costs manageable.

Years back I rented my home and very large garden. The property was sold
and the new owner tilled under my garden and destroyed some orchard trees.
It was financially devastating; our grocery expenses tripled.

As far as Joe Consumer, maybe he doesn't care about flavor and variety; but
somebody's (Fred consumer? Jane?) spending an awful lot of time and money
at our local farmers' markets getting fresh, flavorful, and less expensive
produce.

~ Stephen
CA Central Valley