nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Huckleberry

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Huckleberry
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 22:28:47 -0500

Eastern Huckleberry, Gaylussacia
baccata?

Jim,
Looks like PFAF doesn't think much of the flavor.

Beware of Garden huckleberry, yuck!!! We grew some of the usual kind as well as some sweet ones from Tim Peters. The blister beetles really sent for the sweet ones, I guess they know a good thing, and left the bitter ones alone. Even cooked, the garden huckleberries had a nauseating bitterness. The sweet ones were actually quite good, but it was a constant struggle to keep the blister beetles from scarfing the plants up entirely. Donna