nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Huckleberry

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Huckleberry
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 12:12:25 -0700

That’s the word about Western huckleberry, that it has to be gathered wild – but I can’t see why it couldn’t be cultivated, given the right conditions.  If you bought a plot of land with a concentration of wild huckeleberry, and harvested annually, is that a crop?  If you weed it, propagate it, and protect it from varmints, at what point is it considered cultivated?  Would it suddenly decide, “hey, I’m cultivated now, so no more fruit for you?”  People are certainly growing Western Huckleberry.  People also grow ramps, fiddleheads, morels, truffles, and wasabi.  Many uncultivateable plants are cultivated.   Difficulty providing the right conditions isn’t the same as impossible.

~ Stephen