nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:55:37 -0700

I don’t find ground cherries too much of a bother.  The thing I get with them is trying to convince my brain that they’re a sweet fruit , not tomatillos.  Still, I tend to use them in sauces for savory things – like a sweet/hot salsa, or grilling sauce, or relish.  Or jam, where my biased brain can’t see their shape.

I read somewhere – perhaps on this very list – that one way to deal with fruit like you describe is to freeze the bunches first, then pluck the frozen berries from the stems.  I used to try to steam juice small bunched berries like that, but unless they are clean of vegetative matter, the juice tastes unpleasantly musty, almost dirty.

Thanks much for the info!

~ Stephen