nafex - [NAFEX] Huckleberry

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Huckleberry
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 08:13:50 -0500

I have questions about Huckleberries: Is there enough interest in Huckleberries to have a NAFEX group?

Does anyone raise either Vaccinium membranaceum, Black Huckleberry, aka Western Huckleberry? Does Anyone raise Eastern Huckleberry, Gaylussacia baccata?

When I went looking for Western Huckleberry plants, I found the natives, especially Montanans, to be very covetous of their native jelly berry. They refused to sell me any!!! I did finally find someone who would sell plants and, though they rated them as zone 3 hardy, didn't offer me much hope of survival in Minnesota. I bought 12 and nine made it through their first Winter, some of them just barely - I had a snowless Winter.

When I went looking for Eastern Huckleberry plants, I found lots of (Eastern) Huckleberry Jelly but no plants. I finally did find one nursery who said they had (Gaylussacia baccata) plants but, for unsaid reasons, they refused to sell me any. I finally found some growing wild in Wisconsin.

Okay, so now I have plants. Do I have to figure out how to grow them by myself or has anyone gone before me and already succeeded. I would appreciate any and all information. Thanks,

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com