nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 16:34:53 -0700

They are pleasant, but they don't have acid. The flavor isn't tomato, but you can tell they are in that family. I've never made preserves because I don't make preserves. The main trouble with Wonderberries is that between the small size of the berries and the juiciness, they are terribly tedious to pick in quantity and clean for processing. You wind up with a bowl of juice that has a lot of debris in it. I just keep a few around to nibble. Even ground cherries (Physalis) are a lot easier to work with. If wonderberries were larger, they might be easier to work with.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com