nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Garden Huckleberry
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 14:01:08 -0500

Title: Message
Full sun, water when dry, and no need to stake.  Fruit is about 3/8 to 1/2 inch in diameter.  Pick when the berries turn from glossy to dullish purple for best flavor.

What I did grow up eating in western Kansas was an edible form of black nightshade (S. nigrum) that ethnic Germans brought from the Volga River region of Russia.

I believe all these nightshades have a somewhat acrid flavor, but those of us who grew up eating them find them delicious nonetheless.  We don't even attempt to compare them with blueberries or other fruits; they are what they are (and pretty darn good if you live where one of the few fruits that do well). -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.