nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Huckleberry

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Huckleberry
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 21:13:48 -0700 (PDT)

That might be part of it. It is also difficult to
propagate vegetatively. On top of that, it is ill
adapted to growing at lower elevations or areas where
there is no snow cover in the winter.

Here in the Willamette Valley they bloom at roughly
the same time as southern highbush blueberries, but
they never set well even though the blueberries seem
to do ok. We suspect that temperatures are just too
low (for good pollen tube growth or something
related?)in February and March. Whereas in the
Cascades just east of here, by the time the snow has
melted and they have a chance to bloom it is May or
June and temps are regularly in the 50s and 60s.

Michael

--- Stephen Sadler <Docshiva@Docshiva.org> wrote:

> I wonder if nurseries are shy to sell western
> huckleberry because it
> transplants so very poorly, and are concerned about
> dissatisfied customers?
>

> ~ S

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon
www.Mdossettphoto.com
phainopepla@yahoo.com

Park yourself in front of a world of choices in alternative vehicles. Visit
the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/