nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Amelamchier & robins

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Amelamchier & robins
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:59:15 -0700

Just for fun, I'll suggest an unusual theory. It is known that birds use
lines of magnetic force to navigate their migration. It is known that the
magnetic poles shifted during the large Indonesian earthquake. This year's
robins might be the first generation to not have a memory of visual cues
(which birds also use) and may depend more strongly on those reset magnetic
lines, so flocks would show up different places than they have in the past.

There is probably nothing to this. I just sorta like the idea.

We certainly notice changes in the Pacific flyway that seem to be due not to
magnetism, but a shifting landscape of available habitats and feeding areas.

Stephen Sadler
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate