nafex - [NAFEX] Amelamchier

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: NAFEX <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Amelamchier
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 22:13:23 -0400

I was poking around the "border" area of my yard. This is the edge of what used to be woods, until developer guy blasted away the land next door, after removing all the trees from a swath of my land, too. (Long story.) Anyhow, there's a lot more sun in land that used to be completely shaded, so all sorts of interesting things are happening. One is that the wild blueberries have set a lot of fruit this year. Another is that I noticed an amelamchior with a decent fruit set. Who knew? It never set fruit before, and just looked like a random bit of understory.

So, I think I will keep it (I'm removing some of the other stuff to provide more space for some apples and cornelian cherries.) In fact, I'm thinking of getting it a companion. I had thought the soil might be too acid for it, but apparently not. Any suggestions for a good amelamchior for zone 6 in Massachusetts? (So many of the selected ones are best suited to colder climates, it seems.) I would prefer a large shrub or small tree, and tolerance of light shade. It's fairly dry there, too.

Thanks,
Ginda