nafex - Re: [NAFEX] other wildlife-feeding

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] other wildlife-feeding
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 18:18:09 -0400

I have always had a lot of frustrations over deers eating the terminal
growth of my precious one and two years old grafted apple trees. Very
upsetting at times. They eat the main branch and it develops into side
branching. I choose the best side branch and eliminate the others. When the
chosen branch grows, here comes a munching deer and back to square one.
This year we are having an exceptional season for young trees, the rain
comes as needed, the growth is quite good. I am training the trees that have
to be retrained after many years of deer munching.
High fences are out of the questions...
I am experimenting with a radio. I have purchased a cheap portable emergency
radio working on 2 "AA" bateries, as the deers enter the far end of the
valley where it is too far for running electricity (at least for a trial).
The batteries last for a week and a half to two weeks, when turned on in the
evening and turned off early morning. Here, I can buy 4 "AA" for $1,79CA, so
this radio is quite cheap to operate, really.
After three weeks, I can report that it seems to work.
I tried moving the radio closer to the house (as it would be easier to turn
on and off), but the deer managed that night to sneak a few bites off a
little tree located close to the woods on the far end where I found deer
tracks in the morning, so now I know that I have to put in the efforts if I
want this system to work.
I then set back the radio half way in the valley along the wood edges.
Every night, I go down the valley to turn on the radio, and every morning, I
go down the valley to turn off the radio. The radio is kept in a five gallon
pale turned sideways to protect it from rain and it keeps the sound away
from the house so that we don't have to listen to this commercial station
that I have chosen with various wailing disjockeys introducing the next hip
hop songs and what not.
All I can report is that deers are not yet used to munching apple trees to
the sound of the latest....
So far so good. The radio seems a solution for keeping deers away....
I had heard of a beekeeper protecting his bees from the bears one year with
a radio. Meanwhile other beekeepers where out there with their guns and many
sleepless nights.
I'll report on the results at the end of the season.
Hélène, zone 3-4