nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Amelamchier

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Amelamchier
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 08:34:24 -0500

At 09:13 PM 6/17/2006, you wrote:
Any suggestions for a good
amelamchior for zone 6 in Massachusetts? (So many of the selected
ones are best suited to colder climates, it seems.) I would prefer a
large shrub or small tree, and tolerance of light shade. It's fairly
dry there, too.
Ginda,
A.laevis(Allegheny serviceberry) is very productive here - and would fit the small tree category.
I've got a number of the A.alnifolia selections growing, but by far the most vigorous - and productive - of those have been a couple of cheap little row-run Timm & Success seedlings, ordered years ago from the now-defunct Bear Creek Nursery.
Ken Asmus, at OIKOS Tree Crops usually has some A.laevis and A.x lamarckii seedlings available from good fruiting selections.
Maybe he'll weigh in at some point, but I think Regent has performed & fruited well for Hector Black, down at Hidden Springs Nursery.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY