nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Armillaria

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Armillaria
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 23:46:11 -0700

The body of a mushroom, the mycelium that lives underground, can occupy literally thousands of square miles.  They are easily the largest organisms on the planet.  The fruiting bodies will crop up at the same time over vast areas, wherever - and whenever - the conditions are right.  Weather is a very big factor, as is food availability.  Mushrooms live well on little, but only fruit when and where they are well-nourished.

Armillaria, although it depends on wood tissue for nourishment, still grows out in search of wood, and still has large bodies.  You can see aerial shots of Armillaria’s effects on stands of trees, generally in the same circular pattern you see in small scale in Fairy Ring mushrooms in lawns.  Most mushrooms grow out that way underground, their circumferences continuing to enlarge.  Fruiting bodies usually occur at the margins, where food has not been used up, but the body is not ring-shaped, it spans the circle.  Where food is plentiful or replenished, the fruiting bodies occur within the margins.

What is called Armillaria mellea is actually several species.  This giving-many-like-species one name is common in mycology.  Some species are saprophytic, and nourish themselves on dead or dying wood.  Others are parasitic, infesting living wood and killing the trees.  Yes, weaker trees probably succumb more readily; but a hungry parasitic A. mellea could, given the time and favorable conditions, bring down an otherwise healthy tree.

It may be, however, that conditions that favor A. mellea do not favor trees developing as strongly.  The temperature and moisture may make the environment pathogen-rich; so the tree, before succumbing to an Armillaria infection, may have spent a lifetime warding off various root pathogens, and perhaps even insects that breed more readily in warm, wet conditions.

Since their one of my favorites, I have mixed feelings upon finding a patch near a desirable tree.  But there’s nothing that will save a tree at that point; I gather the mushrooms and take down the tree before it falls.

Stephen