nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Advice for apricot failure?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advice for apricot failure?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 17:01:47 -0700

Here in the Pacific NW we often get gummosis in the wet, cool spring weather. It makes cankers which are not readily apparent just at a glance until they start to ooze gummy sap. The cankers can girdle and kill limbs, and also the trunks of smaller trees. Apricots are usually quite susceptible to it, and if you have the same thing, inspect the trunk for a bulge or raised area around the trunk. If you have that, the tree might recover by putting up new growth from below the girdled area, or it may die.
Ornamental cherries are very susceptible to the disease and are always grafted high on the (resistant) rootstock trunk. That way, the disease will usually only take a limb or two at most and new ones can be trained from the remaining material.
-Lon Rombough