nafex - [NAFEX] Advice for apricot failure?

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Advice for apricot failure?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:31:34 -0400

Apricots are often grafted either on an apricot rootstock or a kind of plum (Marianna 2624 or older trees were on St. Julien A).  Apricot roots are very intolerant of wet feet.  I don't know if pruning back was a good idea.
If the soil dries out the tree might recover.  If you replace the tree eventually, I would strongly consider making sure the tree is grafted on a plum rootstock.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation