nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Advice for apricot failure?

  • From: Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Advice for apricot failure?
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 05:21:46 -0700 (PDT)

Joan, Dennis, Lon,
thank you for the tips.
I will pay closer attention to the simptoms you
mentioned.

It seems the tree did not get worse yesterday.
Weather here in New England is relatively dry compared
to NW, however this spring was the wettest in 70
years. I had a few inches of standing water all over
the garden.

--- Dennis Norton <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
wrote:

> Are the leaves that wilted still moist or are they
> completely dry and flake
> in your hand?

Still completely moist and alive. Wanted to ask for
help while it is still possible to do something.

> Did the wilting start from the bottom
> of the tree and go up
> the tree branch by branch or did the wilting start
> at the top of the tree
> and go down towards the roots?

Looks like whole tree started to wilt at the same
time. It is more visible on young tips, probably
because they are softer.

> Do the ends of the
> branches have a shepard's crook look to them?

No.

> Did the wilting happen all of a
> sudden or over a couple of weeks?

All of sudden. I noticed this right after 2 days of
rain. Possible started a little bit earlier. Did not
go to garden during rain.

> Did the leaves turn yellow before
> wilting?

No, there is no yellow leaves.

> Sorry for all the
> questions, but they do make a difference in making
> an educated guess as to the cause.

I'm glad to collect more information for you.
This will help me to pay attention to these things.

> A picture would be most helpful.

Great idea. Don't know how I missed this.
Here are the pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32769754@N00/166402406/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/32769754@N00/166403856/

http://www.caf.wvu.edu/Kearneysville/wvufarm8b.html#PEACH
> and take a look at
> the different symptoms and photos to see if you see
> what is happening to you tree there.

I reviewed the information posted on the web site.

Again thanks everybody for help.
Andriy