nafex - [NAFEX] Rootstock Information Gap

  • From: sherwindu <sherwindu@comcast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rootstock Information Gap
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:58:31 -0600

Some of us have been saying that tree size is somewhat indeterminate
because of scion vigor, soil, etc., but nevertheless one needs some kind
of guideline when ordering a tree or a rootstock. The rootstock tree
sizes are given as nominal values. I think that the M7 that Chris
ordered
could be considered a 'semi-dwarf' generally yielding a tree about 50%
of
standard. A few of my trees are on M26, and they seem to adhere to the
specs for 40% of standard size. Stella Otto's book, 'The Backyard
Orchardist' has some nice diagrams and specs for rootstock tree sizes.
As for lifetime, my Redhaven Peach, which I'm not sure was grafted, is
still going strong after 16 years. I am thinking of a white flesh
peach, like Belle of Georgia. Yes, Raintree is one of the few remaining
sellers who specify rootstocks on some of their items, but their
selection
of white flesh peaches is very limited.

Sherwin Dubren