nafex - [NAFEX] Rootstock Information Gap

  • From: sherwindu <sherwindu@comcast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rootstock Information Gap
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 18:48:50 -0600

I am somewhat surprised by the replies that came back on this topic.

I grow mostly apple trees and have had good success with dwarf trees.
There were some surprises, mostly with trees I bought when I was new
to the hobby and didn't know better, and dwarfs turned out to be full
grown trees. I think pruning control is counterproductive, because you
are cutting off a lot of the growth that will yield fruit in the next
season. Not to be ungracious, I consider some of the suggestions to be
Band-Aids. The most straightforward way to control tree growth is
through
the rootstock.

The current dwarfing rootstocks used heavily at this time seem to be
unsuitable
for zone 5 or they do not match up well with most peach varieties.
There are
a few possibilities that I want to check out, St. Julien A (a damson
plum),
Siberian C., Brompton, and Krymsk (myrobolan cross). There are probably
others
out there I haven't heard about. Problem is that none of the growers
are working
with these rootstocks. I would make my own, but I am much better at
whip and
tongue than I am bud grafting. Also, I don't know where to buy these
rootstocks.
I may just have to wait until the right thing comes out.

Nobody picked up on my complaint about not specifying rootstock types.
If more
people complained, maybe something would be done about it.

Sherwin Dubren