nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rootstock Information Gap

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rootstock Information Gap
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:40:19 EST

Sherwin, I did not intend to cloud the issue about dwarfing rootstocks. I have tried several methods and a number of rootstocks to dwarf peaches, none have worked well. The ones that do work were shortlived - less than 10 years.

Apples and pears are another story, they work well. Most people that I have talked to think that it is exact - a dwarf will produce a tree 6 to 8 feet  etc. and that just is not always true. My beef and I think it is the same as yours, is that most mail order houses do not indicate what the rootstock is.

Sorry if I clouded the issue.

Ed Mashburn
Central PA
Zone 5A