nafex - [NAFEX] Rootstock Information Gap

  • From: mauch1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Rootstock Information Gap
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 10:27:11 -0500

>I would not recommend this technique on the newer dwarfing rootstocks, such
>as Bud 9.  The very nature of Bud 9 is slow growth which we can attest to.

Interesting, as I have had quite vigorous growth on all my dwarfing rootstocks including Bud 9 (the others
are mainly M26 (no more if I can help it because of my soil), and Ottawa 2 (unsure of the number).
Won't be planting any more of the Ottawa either for two reasons, can't get it (my source was Bear
Creek) and it doesn't transplant (otherwise I have no complaints about it - if you can or are willing to
plant the new trees in situ (i.e. in the orchard rather than a nursery bed) its a fine stock).  The only
other rootstock I'd consider besides Bud 9 at this point is maybe M27 for something like Northern Spy.

All my 'dwarf' trees are about 12 feet or more tall.  Now I'm pruning to 'French axe'/Vertical Axis.  which
encourages height.

For the first time this year I plan to fertilize.  My growth length on most trees was decent (12 + inches)
given the year was droughty, but shorter than prior years and thinner.  The majority of trees are about 4
years in the ground.

All my dwarf trees are staked.  I have a few trees on semidwarf rootstocks (couldn't pass up a $5/tree
end of season sale).  With the exception of Honeycrisp they're over 15 feet tall - and growing.  I did not
stake them and have had a problem when remenant hurricanes have come through and put them over.  I
think one is now going to be permanently guy wired.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6
40° 5' N 75° 51'W
~650 ft elevation