nafex - Re: [NAFEX] olive trees

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] olive trees
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:10:26 -0800

Michele,

Those are all sound objections and appreciated comments.  This tree would be away from concrete, and I like curing olives.  I even want to, one day, try my hand at some small-scale pressing again.  When I grew up here, there were plentiful olive trees in public or abandoned/undeveloped/unused private land, or in yards of neighbors/acquaintances.   Anyone could easily go out and get all the olives he wanted.  In this area of town, and at this time, there are much fewer trees.  I see few in the neighborhood, and, unlike when I grew up here, we don’t know our neighbors.  I am surprised that I don’t have an abundance of free olives, but there you go.  I had initially planned on no olive trees here because I thought I could find plenty nearby.  I certainly could in other areas of town. Also my inner landscaper looks at the gap I want to fill and the color, texture, and form of an olive would work beautifully.

You know, I think a lot of olives have been removed, at least the ones you used to see streetside, because of the mess.  Same with mulberries – the only ones I see anymore are fruitless.

Stephen