nafex - [NAFEX] olives

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] olives
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:05:00 -0800

We bought this house just over a year ago.  It’s suburban, .28 acre; so I have to be a little thoughtful about what gets planted where, and how.  The house came with some plum trees.  The pretty, cherry-sized plums are not the more common native plums, which are sweet-sour and make great jellies.  These things taste awful.  Thankfully, one of them has fallen.  One might think it fell from the storms, but I believe it collapsed under the weight of the great bitterness of its nascent fruit.

So I’m replacing it with an olive.  Olives grow very well here, are pretty, and can green up the skyline without casting too thick a shade.  And they make olives!  Olives are common enough I may not need a pollenizer, but I’m thinking of maybe planting two olives a couple feet apart – the ‘two in the hole’ trick.  Or I could just plant out the olive I have ready to go, and delay planting a second.

Opinions?  Is my olive-in-hand worth two-in-the-hole?

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate