nafex - [NAFEX] olive trees

  • From: "M Stanton" <6ducks@fuse.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] olive trees
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 07:55:06 -0500

Everyone’s tastes in fruit are different, but if I had ¼ acre in the Sacramento area I probably wouldn’t plant olives.

Their pollen is a major allergen, the fruit makes a mess on the sidewalk, olives have to be cured, and what’s more, there are enough other olive trees around that it would probably be easy to find another homeowner who was happy to have you harvest their fruit, so you could have fruit without planting the tree yourself.  Of course, olives are beautiful long-lived trees, probably suitable for xeriscaping, etc.

Just a thought from an ex-Californian.

Michele Stanton