nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate
  • Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 14:30:51 -0600

I am sure Jack Rice got the names right from the labels. Just a note on this, Russia is a multi-lingual country and Uzbeck-Turkmen Russian is not quite the same as regular Russian and it would depend on who was doing the labeling. Anor or nor is the word for pomegranate in Central Asia. The names I am using came from the Director of the USSR/ Now Turkmenistan germplasm station. I appreciate you relating the production of the Russian versus Iranian varieties. There is a long story about how I became involved in this and I have submitted it to Pomona for Spring publication.
Now to the important thing, If you do not have "Spanish Sweet" (Papershell) I will send you cuttings in February and I think also an early one "Sumbar" (early)or "Super Early" (Sverkhranniy) and "Purple" (Sirenevyi) it is pink on the outside but the arils are purple/black quite a contrast when you cut it open, sweet and soft-seeded. The Sweet soft-seeded varieties are not as productive as the sweet-tart varieties except for Spanish Sweet.
I have your address and will send an e-mail in advance of the cuttings in February. Thanks for your interest.
Richard Ashton
7b/8a Central Texas

----- Original Message ----- From: <natelson@stehlinclinic.com>