nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate

  • From: lee reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate
  • Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 21:52:18 -0500

Please put me on that list of people to try out those varieties:

Lee Reich
387 Springtown rd.
New Paltz, NY 12561

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book
Weedless Gardening

On Dec 3, 2005, at 8:22 PM, MARIE ASHTON wrote:

Give me your address and I will try to get some cuttings of "Sverkhranniy" to you in February.  I am compling a list of interested people for testing various cold hardy Russian/Central Asian varieties and and will only want shipping cost (which is very little) and a report back sometime in the future. It is interesting that this variety was a slected variety from a group seedling pomegranates that came from seed that was "irrateated" and caused some of the seedlings to mutate. It is the earliest ripening variety of pomegranate known at present and as such it "may" not require as many heat units although that is not proven. It is also a soft-seeded variety and as such it will not stand as much cold as some of the other varieties I have been talking about but is a consideration for a potted plant in zone 4/5. As you probably know the pomegranates that we have in this country nearly all orignated in Spain  (at least the parents of the present varieties) and a few other places in Southern Europe and North Africa. All these places have the varieties that are adapted to the warmer conditions. The pomegranate is believed to have orignated in the mountains of Persia (Iran) and Southern Central Asia, a colder enviorment than Spain/Southern Europe. So these varieties that I have been talking about are just getting back to genes that the orignal wild pomegranates had. I appreciate you interest.
Richard Ashton
7b/8a Central Texas