nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pomegranate
  • Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 19:56:53 -0600

Yes, they can be kept as potted plants, but they will need all the summer heat/sunshine that you can give them, there are people that fruit them this way presently .
The pomegranate is considered self-fruitful. Variety selection is important if you are going grow in pots, try to get a early variety. If you want suggestions as to varieties let me know. There is a japanese dwarf variety that fruits in pots (small edible fruit), but most japanese varieties will not fruit (only produce flowers). There are several Central Asian low-growing, early varieties that might be a better bet as the fruit is larger and better flavored.
Richard Ashton

----- Original Message ----- From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>