nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Any opinions on my grafting problem? - scions and saliva

  • From: "Erdman, Jim" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Any opinions on my grafting problem? - scions and saliva
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 09:06:05 -0500

Jerry wrote about scions:

> A few years back after someone told me of keeping them moist in the mouth
> in saliva I tried it. Three of three > persimmon grafts took and grew.
> Looked like a good idea. Next spring all three were dead which is not
> normally a problem with persimmon.

In the last month or so I have been doing a lot of reading on grafting in my
library of fruit growing books, and I recall reading in one (and offhand I
don't recall which book) about a study done about things that affected the
percentage of takes of grafts. One commercial grower had a grafter who
habitually kept a couple of scions in his mouth, and he had a less than hoped
for percentage of grafts take. When he made a point to not put them in his
mouth, his percentage increased dramatically, to that of the other grafters
working in the same business with the same rootstocks and scion wood.

I never did find the info that I was looking for in the books, which would be
clear information on the aftercare of benchgrafts--what to do with them until
they are planted in the ground, and just when that should be, whether it
should be in a nursery, etc. No one seemed to have clear info unless it was
hidden away in a different part of the book. Any suggestions for reading
will be appreciated.

Jim, in Menomonie, WI

<<winmail.dat>>

  • RE: [NAFEX] Any opinions on my grafting problem? - scions and saliva, Erdman, Jim, 05/05/2005