nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Freeze Resistant Fruits

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Freeze Resistant Fruits
  • Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 10:53:48 -0500

At 02:06 PM 5/3/2005, you wrote:
If you are growing selections of fruit that resist frost/freezes that
normally damage such fruits, please let us know.
Particularly:
Kaki persimmons or kiwi that break dormancy much later, or rebloom
after being frozen back.
Richard,
I didn't make it through the entire orchard this morning, but I did notice that the Rosseyanka hybrid persimmon is weeks behind the American varieties, and at least a week or so behind the various kakis and the Keener hybrid. While many of the larger Americans have been fully leafed out for at least a couple of weeks, Rosseyanka's buds are just now swelling & showing green; no unfurling yet.
Had another light frost last night, following one this past Saturday night, and two nights of hard frost the previous weekend, which burned leaves on pawpaws, persimmons, pecans, and walnuts. I'm seeing quite a bit of fireblight showing up, mainly on the Asian pears - don't know if it's routine stuff that gained entrance at bloom, or if it is subsequent to frost/freeze damage, as I've been out of the orchard for most of the last two weeks, following the death of my father - too much other stuff going on to keep an eye on what's been happening out there.

Lucky