nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bramley apples in the USA?

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bramley apples in the USA?
  • Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 17:03:05 -0600

At 05:19 PM 3/9/2005 -0500, you wrote:
I bought Bramley scionwood from someone - I think it was the Christian Homesteading Movement (no internet/no e-mail. But they/he regularly advertise in Pomona). Unfortunately, the tree died. I had grafted about a dozen varieties on it, and it might have suffered from a virus. I know it also suffered from a drought.
I, too, grafted Bramley's Seedling, from scions I got from CHF - probably 5+ years ago, and I think mine is still alive, though it's barely 2 ft tall - on a combo M9/M111 rootstock. Granted, it's received no care whatsoever, other than mowing a couple times a year, and it is growing in a thick sod of KY-31 fescue. I keep waiting for it to die so I can plant a pear there, but I may just go ahead and bite the bullet and rip it out, anyway.

Lucky