nafex - RE: [NAFEX] mangosteens and blood oranges and metaphors, oh my

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] mangosteens and blood oranges and metaphors, oh my
  • Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 12:48:53 -0800

Title: Re: [NAFEX] mangosteens and blood oranges

Diane,

Yes, I believe mangosteens would require greenhouse conditions here.  I was referring to them as metaphor; or, possibly, I was referring to the canned mangosteens I buy locally; or possibly the fresh ones I can sometimes find in Southern CA (illegally imported), or possibly up where you are, the land of less-restrictive-fruit-import-laws.  I have heard rumors that there are oriental fruit markets in Vancouver and back east in Toronto that have them. I suppose I should have said my handbasket was filled with blood oranges and vintage apples, but then – how does one compare apples and oranges?  It comes so quickly back to metaphor…

Cheers,

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.

USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,

Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate