nafex - Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit culture basics

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit culture basics
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:56:05 -0500

On Jan 14, 2005, at 3:48 PM, Stephen Sadler wrote:

My biggest problem with containers was always maintaining adequate moisture;. . .

me too. My inside plants do okay, but I don't put pots outside, because the plants die of dehydration. I grow one pot with a tomato plant each summer. It is in a giant pot, and the plant visibly wilts before any permanent damage is done, reminding me that it needs water. I nearly killed my Meyers lemon the year I tried to leave it outside in its pot, because you can't se how thirsty it is from a distance. I find plants in the ground much more forgiving. I only water if it's been very dry, or for the berries, during peak fruiting season.

Drip irrigation of potted plants sounds interesting.

Ginda