nafex - Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit culture basics

  • From: Charles Paradise <machelp@attglobal.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit culture basics
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:46:54 -0500

What I notice about the local farm stand is that they can grow virtually
anything in a container - whether it be a summer flower or chrysanthemums or
'flowering kale' for fall sale.

I know they use a commercial expensive potting mix that comes in bale sizes
and I suspect, but don't know, if they add conventional fertilizer. What I
know for sure is their results are almost always superior, presentable enough
for gifts and their customers shell out the dollars to buy and take away.

What I'm getting at is I wish I knew what they knew - of course they've been
doing this for 4+ generations vs. my fooled around with container growing for
15 yrs or so. I do grow trees in tubes and am reasonably successful. I
wish we had a "fruit growers boot camp" we could all attend so we could
advance our starting line point in our horticultural endeavors.

I've got to go now; I'm sore from kicking myself for not having gotten a job
years ago with them and learning from them the easy way.

Charlie Paradise
Massachusetts