nafex - Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit culture basics

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] potted fruit culture basics
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:56:47 -0500

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:48:46 -0500, Pat Meadows <pat@containerseeds.com> wrote:

It costs me about $19 for a 3.8 square foot compressed bale
of all-purpose soilless mix. It's really very compressed
too. It flies out all over the place when you open it
(which should be done on an old plastic table cloth or old
sheet or something so you can contain it).

Hello,

The best way to open one of these compressed bales, if you are going to only use a small amount at a time, is easy.

Lay the bale on it's side, so the largest area is upwards. Now take a pocket knife and cut an 8" "X" in the center. This relieves the pressure of the compressed mass slowly. Just take as mnay trowel fulls as you need.

As the bale gets smaller, I make the "X" bigger and use a shovel to remove it.

Later,
Tom
--