nafex - [NAFEX] Hardy Peaches

  • From: Jim Fruth <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Hardy Peaches
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2005 08:00:31 -0600

On January 14, 2005, Pat Meadows wrote:

While you're at it, how about finding peaches and apricots
that have one of the following characteristics?

a. Blossoms won't be killed by late frosts
or
b. Blossoms don't appear until late June/early July

c. Oh yes, and the fruit has to ripen before October. This may
be a tall order. <g>

The sweet cherries would be lovely to have too.

Pat, I've already got that - two out of three anyway (a. and c.). My
problem is that I just don't have enough land to do the optimal research
project. It was enough space for my black raspberry project but peaches
require alot more room. My peach is a real curiosity in that some of the
fruit is borne on spurs as well as on new wood.
Potential customers are practically beating my door down to buy a tree
or more but I don't sell any until I'm sure they'll survive the winter. I'd
like to keep as many as possible because every subsequent generation has a
better survival rate but not all have the characteristics I seek.
I started by just doing natural selection but I have since added Bailey
and Sib-C to the project. Would you believe...............I've got three
Baileys that survived -35 F. I'll know this coming Spring if any of the
Sib-Cs are worth keeping.

Jim Fruth
Pequot Lakes, MN