nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Wine to Vinegar

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Wine to Vinegar
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 07:13:45 -0500

Charles Paradise wrote:

> Based on what mIEKAL says about sugar [and I assume he means white
> table sugar]

correct. Ive never been able to afford trying honey... or organic
raisins...

> it could be the reason organic wine has less bad effects than
> conventional wine may be not only the lack of metabisulfites, but that
> they didn't use sugar to get the ferment going or to push the alcohol
> content higher. When someone offers me conventional wine now, I
> generally turn it down - it just isn't worth the risk.

one person I know got sick enough from one glass that she got very dizzy
& nearly passed out.

> Mondavi brand wine from california is one of the offenders, truly
> allergic stuff to me. Some brands are fine. Since organic wines
> can't always be obtained, it would be great if there was a website
> where people counted reports of allergic symptoms from various brands.
>
> Been planning to obtain 60 to 100 lbs of wine grapes to freeze for
> juice. Busy freezing tomatoes this morning. Swenson Red is heaviest
> bearing here this year, tasty but not supreme [but perhaps not fully
> ripe yet].

I had miserable production on my swenson reds, but the ones that are
there are not even fully ripe yet & we've already had a couple lite
frosts.

I have the opportunity to help potentially develop an organic grape
juice cooperative in the area. Im really curious what are the favorite
grape JUICE varieties you all have, particularly those that are hardy to
zone 4.

mIEKAL

--
mIEKAL aND