nafex - Re: [nafex] Black Currant Pollination

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Black Currant Pollination
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 22:42:34 -0500

I planted a mature Crandall bare root plant in the fall and it fruited a
little the next year. I planted some much smaller bare root Crandalls
(also in the fall) and they took a couple of years. They didn't get
much sun and had fierce competition from ferns, though. I transplanted
two that hadn't yet fruited into a better spot, and they fruited either
the next year or the following one.

I have three Crandalls, a Consort, and some assorted red currents, and
they all set fruit except for one of the reds, which always blossoms
during rain. The Crandalls are very tasty.

Ginda