nafex - Blueberry for North Carolina?

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Blueberry for North Carolina?
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 23:35:58 -0500

A friend of mine is buying a house in Charlotte, and I'd like to give
her a bush or small tree as a housewarming present. She's moving to a
new subdevelopment, with (no doubt) crummy soil. One side has full sun,
the other partial shade.

Do you think a blueberry stands much chance there? If so, can anyone
recommend an easy-to-grow blueberry? (Or two?) Next priorities would
be an attractive plant, and, of course, decent fruit would be nice. If
not a blueberry, any other suggestions for attractive fruiting plants
that don't make a mess? I'm also considering a camellia. (off topic,
but pretty)

Ginda Fisher
too far north to know North Carolina flora