nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: hole digging

  • From: "Mills Apple Farm" <millsapl@fgi.net>
  • To: <nafex@egroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: hole digging
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 11:37:27 -0600

Del, my first tree planter was nothing more than a middle buster shovel
which opened a furrow 8" wide at the bottom and 4 -- 5 inches deep, followed
by cover discs that pulled the soil back into the furrow. With it I have
planted 6 foot apple trees. I like the wide bottom for it places the roots
on a solid base that may wick moisture up from below. We have planted
several thousand trees with this machine with near 100% survival. On a
smaller basis I think one could use a middle buster by itself to open a
furrow. Have one person place the trees and a second one fill in the
furrow using a hoe. It helps if the soil was worked up the previous fall but
I have also rototilled the seedbed a week before planting just to get some
crumbling.

You are right, working wet clay soil is the best way to make bricks, not to
farm.

Planting in a slot doesn't seem to affect tree survival or growth as long as
the roots are not twisted around the trunk at planting. When that happens
the tree is slowly strangled as the roots grow. We usually have commercial
crops within 4--5 years using tree planters. Most of the commercial growers
I know use tree planters, but then they are also planting medium to high
density orchards. When properly set up one can plant trees at the rate of
one every ten seconds using a tree planter. Digging holes is much less
efficient.

One hundred and twenty years ago the commercial growers in southern Illinois
seriously discussed placing trees on top of the ground and piling soil on
their roots as a measure to prevent collar rot. I don't know how many
actually did it. We have planted many of our orchards on ridges for the same
reason. Ridges provide good drainage from around the base of the tree. and
we have not had much collar rot. Ridges, if not kept clean, also are
excellent habitat for mice and voles. We have lots of those. I could send
you some.....Good luck with your project. Jerry Mills