nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: hole digging

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: hole digging
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:59:58 -0000

Donna, a geologist told me that he guessed that our very hilly ground
was
caused by the dumping of the deposits that were once a mile high on top of
the glaciers as they retreated from their forays down here in the tropics.
However, that was before we well drilled and learned we have very homogenous
clay for 340' straight down, i'd like to know how such a deposit is even
possible.
By the way, any of the Canadiens in this group are welcome to come
lay
claim to any and all of the boulders deposisted hereabouts- we hear they
were once yours - come load em up!
About ph..... I'm red-in-the-face saying i've never tested the clay.
My
excuse was that the resident sugar maples and basswoods and oaks grow so
well here it must be 'tree perfect'. Of course, i've no idea how apple
roots like their ph compared to maples anyway. Any opinions out there?
I did'nt know that lime could loosen up clay, is it the calcium? is it the
ph difference? What ph would be too high to warrant lime treatment?
thanks Mn. del