nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: hole digging

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: hole digging
  • Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:02:52 -0000

Thanks much for the imput. I have considered mounding. I have a 50
yard
pile of very black dirt from the wetland excavation I had done last fall,
but I'm concerned that, since these are to be full size trees (malus
prunifolia however big they are) that they need to adapt to reality - which
is clay for 300 feet down. And there is the compaction problem of getting
the black dirt transported there in the soggy soil stage prior to
planting
time.
If I wait till the soil is friable the 2 year old grafted trees
will be
well leafed out already in their nursery bed. The problem with using
'gorilla tactics' is that this clay is so dense that it just makes solid
bricks the size of the shovel, so the roots, rather than being spread out
are crammd into a few cracks between lumps of clay. Isn't this worse than
the clay pot syndrome, and can it not be solved by using machine pulverized
clay well tamped?
I really would like to know what tools and techniques commercial
growers
use to excavate holes whether gas or potato powered.
The christmas tree planter referred to I presume is the 'tow behind
the
tractor furrow cutting' type of planter used here in forestry. Since these
trees are 2-4 foot high I think the ' all roots in one slot' would be an
issue, and the glacial boulders really make em jump! But I really appreciate
the thoughtful 'plus and minus' type of reply. Mn. Del