nafex - Re: [nafex] deer prevention

  • From: fluffy bunny <the.fluffy.bunny@juno.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] deer prevention
  • Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2000 03:00:38 +0100

Ginda wrote:

I wonder if some monofilament is more visible than others. Someone
hypothesized on this board that deer are spooked by feeling something
they can't see. Certainly, they will push over a wire fence that is
much stronger than a monofilament fence.

My reply:

Deer have an acute sense of "balance" and are very cautious. The
monofilament line is fairly resistant for its size; it creates an
illusion of a loss of balance, because balance is a perception of mass
and velocity at a perceived point on a line.

Good boxers understand this, and therefore vary the intensity of their
jab in order to rob an opponent of his balance, and therefore his timing.
This is works because the "opponent" cannot correctly anticipate the
amount of resistance needed to overcome the force of the jab while
keeping in stasis. Therefore they cannot "get off" or counter
effectively.

The same thing happens to the deer, it no longer feels certain of its
ability to cut right or left because its timing is broken by a resistance
it cannot judge. This accounts for Ginda's description of "spooked".

One other side note:

One of the native American tribes I use to stay with informed me that
their ancestors use to protect their gardens by varying the texture of
the ground around the fields in a consistent manner. I believe the
method they were alluding to is they pressed stoned, chopped the dirt,
and used vegetation to create a consistent checkerboard pattern of
various textures around the perimeter of the gardens. They claimed the
deer would not cross it. Then many things are hard to place in context
and in content due to the cultural disparities.

The fluffy one
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

eLerts