nafex - Re: [nafex] deer prevention

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@harborside.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] deer prevention
  • Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 10:30:37 -0700

This is a tested method by the Dept of Ag in PA.
I believe the final tested method was 2 strands on one fence at 2 feet and 4
feet
and one strand about 4 feet away at 30 inches.
But you could check with them. They used to have a booklet on it about 25
years
ago.
They were all electrified.
Sam

Bruce & Joyce wrote:

> Has anyone put up a 4' fence with a single strand of wire 4' high and 4'
> away
> from the main fence?
>
> Another idea (which I planned on using, but I had back problems all summer)
> is
> to put up your regular fence, then tie a row of chicken wire (36" or more)
> the top of the fence material. The chicken wire is then proped up at
> intervals,
> to provide an extra height/width barrier which may also discourage 'coons
> and
> 'possums a bit. The theory is that deer can jump high, or wide, but not
> both.
> Also, that coons and possums don't like to climb on wobbly stuff.
>
> So far, it's only a theory, but I hope I can try it this spring.
>
> Joyce
>
> (a lot of out-of-state
> >people here have bought acreage and post their land, so the deer herd is
> >out
> >of control). They grew up reading about Bambi and think deer are cute.

eGroups eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9698/15/_/423498/_/972667631/