nafex - Re: [nafex] deer prevention

  • From: Ed Mashburn <ribes60@currants.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] deer prevention
  • Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 13:58:08 -0700

At 03:46 PM 10/23/00 -0700, you wrote:
>At 07:21 PM 10/23/00 -0000, you wrote:
>>I read somewhere that stringing mono/fishing line around an orchard
>>will help to keep deer out of the area. Can someone give me the
>>drill on how I should set up such a system. One line? or two or
>>three? How high, etc? pound test? Thanks
>>Mike Tomlinson
>>zone6 SE PA
>

>Mike, I have heard that too and just Saturday I strung a two "wire" mono
>fence around some strawberries that I had put out this year. I am going out
>to the farm tomorrow to see what has happened. I completely "fenced in" the
>rows of plants and will see if the "fence" is broken.
Hello everyone, it is Tues Oct 24th
I installed a two wire mono fence around some strawberries that I planted
in Aug and the deer were eating the new leaves almost as fast as they grow.
I installed the "fence" this past Saturday and today was the first time
that I have inscected the site. There were two breaks in the "fence" and
probably some depradation, but I think that it was much less than usual.
Judging from the tracks outside the "fence" it deterred some deer. I
repaired the damage and it is my opinion that Don was correct that if the
"fence" were installed at a greater distance from the strawberry plants it
may have been more effective.

Deer season will start in about a month and that may have some effect also.
I do believe that it is cheap insurance and affords some protection.

Northumberland BerryWorks
707 Front Street
Northumberland, PA 17857
Phone: (570) 473-9910